Owning and shooting a gun is not just for police and the military. Anyone can buy and enjoy shooting guns. Everyone has the right to choose to own a gun to protect themselves and their loved ones.


Ex-Military or Retired Police officers    SPECIAL CLASS
You only need the law portion of this class and you only take test Section 1 it is 25 questions. This class will take 2.5 hours. You will not shoot in this class. Check the Class Dates Page for class times; the cost will be $40.00. This is a separate class only for ex-military/police. You must sign up for the ex-military/police class to get the $40.00 price.


Instructors must teach their SLED approved lesson plan.
SLED requires a 50 round shooting qualification for a Concealed Weapons Permit.
SLED requires a 50 question written test to obtain a Pistol Carry Permit.
The test is still true and false and multiple choice with a few fill in blanks.

You will be given a class outline that will include everything you need to be prepared to pass your closed book CWP  test. This outline will follow my PowerPoint presentation. I want you listening not taking notes. Everything I say will be in the outline for the Concealed Weapons Permit Class. You are paying me to teach you to pass your CWP written exam. I have never had anyone fail the written exam.

You will also be given a self addressed envelope to send to SLED to apply for your Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP).

Your gun and ammo will be provided.
You will shoot a Taurus TX 22Lr handgun.

Range fees and target cost are included in the Concealed Weapons Permit Class cost.

You only need to hit the target 35 times to pass concealed carry test. All shots in the black count.


Private CWP classes are availiable. Class participants names are kept in strict confidence.

Private group Concealed Weapons Permit classes are availiable.  Company names and class participants names are kept in strict confidence

To get your CWP in South Carolina you must:

Be 21 years old or older to get a SC concealed weapon permit.

You must live in or own land in South Carolina to get a concealed weapons carry permit.

The address on your Drivers License must match your SLED application address to get your CWP License. If your DL address is diffrent from your residence get a new DL.

You must take a SLED approved CWP class, with a shooting and written test to get your CWP.

After the class I will provide you with the CWP instructor/student check list from SLED that we both must sign and you submit this to SLED along with your SLED application that we must both sign to obtain your concealed weapons permit from SLED.

You must send in your application to SLED for your concealed weapon permit.

Only SLED can issue a concealed weapon permit to someone.

We give you the requirements to apply for your CWP permit from SLED.

It must be legal for you to possess a gun in South Carolina for you to take a CWP class
​and apply for a concealed weapon permit from SLED.

Target Provided by Instructor

You will be shooting at a full body target, like the one above. All shots in the black will count as 2 points. You must score 70% out of 50 shoots. 35 hits will pass. You will shoot from 3 yards moving back to 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards,12 yards, and finally the 15 yard line for the final 5 shots.

You will be provided with a gun belt and side holster that will fit your pistol for your CWP carry class.
Safety glasses and hearing protection will be provided for your concealed carry class.


My name is Tim Walling and the name of my company is SC Legal Carry LLC. My certifications include NRA Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor ,and SLED Concealed Weapons Permit Instructor. I am a member of the Central Carolinas Shooting Club, a member of International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA). I am a United States Marine Corps  veteran, I was the Zoning Officer for the City of Rock Hill, and now I currently work for York County. I teach Concealed Weapons Permit classes on Saturdays and I teach some night classes. Please look at the class dates page to sign up for a class.

Concealed Weapons Permit Class for Rock Hill, Chester, Lancaster, Fort Mill, York, Tega Cay, Lake Wylie, and all of South Carolina.

Private classes can be held at your location to further protect your privacy. All classes and names will be kept confidential.

I provide everyone with a gun and ammo and a complete class outline which allows everyone to be engaged in the lesson without requiring any note taking. I provide all classroom supplies. I will supply you with the SLED application. After the SLED approved instructional class I will present each student with a class certificate. You send these items to SLED in the self-addressed envelope that will be provided.  Remember only SLED can issue a concealed carry permit to a person.

You will learn: Gun Safety, Carry Safety, How and when to clean a weapon, Home Safety, Proper Shooting Stance, Sight Alignment and other needed skills. We will spend a lot of our time on gun law. I want to be sure you understand concealed carry law.

Everything for your CWP class will be provided for you, you just show up.

The gun range fee and the targets are included in the price of the class. We will travel to Pappy's Gun Range for the shooting test. This is a very easy test. I have many first time shooters that pass this test. The main goal at the range is exhibiting excellent gun safety.

A concealed carry permit is assigned to the person not the gun. You can shoot with the pistol of your choice during the test and carry the gun of your choice concealed.

The class cost is $75.00 per person.

Please contact me directly to schedule a private class for your group or to attend one of the regularly scheduled classes.

Tim Walling


This Class is for people that know how to safely use a gun.

Frequently Asked CWP Questions

1. How do I sign up?

Click this link  (SIGN UP FOR A CLASS HERE)  it will take you to the class dates page. All available classes are listed on line. Please choose the class that works with your schedule. Please use the sign up form below all the class dates listed. Submit this form directly to us by click the submit button. We will add you to the class and send you a confirmation email.

1.A. Where are the classes held at?

Classes are held on site at the gun range. After class we shoot on site.
Please sign up on our website, do not call the gun range to sign up.
Pappy's Gun Shop
4955 Tinker Creed Rd.
Edgemoor, SC 29712
(We are approximately 18 Min. away from Winthrop University.)

2.  What is the class fee?

$75.00 for the full day classes (average citizen class)

$40.00 for the Separate Ex-Military and Ex-Police Officer Class

3. When do I pay for the class?

After you press the submit button you will be directed to a Thank You Page. You can pay your deposit or make your full class payment then by clicking on one of the PayPal links on that page.

If you do not have PayPal just click the PayPal link and pay as a guest using a credit card.

4. What days are the classes held on?

$75.00 Full Class is held on Saturdays at 10 AM

$40.00 Military/Police Classes are held on specified Sundays from 2PM until 4:30PM.

5. What is proof of Military service or Police service?

The Law states that Military proof is your DD214 and Police proof is your graduation certificate from the academy.

6. Do I bring my DD214 or my graduation certificate from the academy to class?

No, you must place a copy of this document into the SLED package that I give to you to mail in to SLED.

7. What time do the classes start?

Full Day Classes are Saturdays starting at 10am till 5:30 PM

Military Evening Classes start at 2 PM till 5:30PM

8. Is this a one day class?

Yes, this is a one day class.

9. What will be provided for me in class?

We will provide a 22Lr Beretta Neos pistol and 50 rounds of ammunition.

We provide range time, targets, holster, gun belt, and eye and ear protection.

We provide you a SLED package with all the SLED required paperwork inside.

We provide an envelope to mail your SLED package to SLED in.

We provide you a gun for classroom use.

We provide drinks and light snacks. (Sometimes my wife will bake goodies for us)

We provide you with an outline so you can follow along and not write all day.

We provide pens, highlighters, and paper.

We provide the gun law and some case law related to the use of deadly force.

We provide a Check off sheet to make sure you put all required paperwork inside your SLED package.

We provide a comfortable learning environment to maximize the sharing of information.

We provide you all the knowledge you will need to pass the written test.

We provide the instruction needed for you to pass the shooting portion of the test.

10. Do I have to be a South Carolina Resident to get a CWP in SC?

Yes, OR, you must own land in SC to obtain a non-resident permit. Please let us know if you are a non-resident. We need to give you a form that you must take to the tax assessor’s office for the tax assessor to fill out and have it signed and sealed by the tax assessors.

11. What paperwork do I need to bring to class?

Only a valid ID. Drivers licensee, Etc.

12. What items do I need for class?

You will need to wear a crew neck shirt. No open front shirts you do not want hot brass down the front of your shirt.

If you want to bring you own eye and ear protection you can. But I will have some for you to use.

If you need a sandwich during the day please bring one.

We will have light snacks and drinks on site.

Bring a baseball hat to keep the sun out of your eyes while shooting.

If it is wet bring old shoes.

Absolutely no flip flops, ballerina type of slip on shoes, no sandals, no high heels, no open toe shoes.

You will be outside only to shoot (Approximately for 30 to 45 minutes outside). The classroom is inside. Dress appropriately.

13. Will you do finger prints on site?

Yes. A retired police officer will be on site to roll your finger prints. Please bring $5.00 cash to pay him when he rolls your prints.

14. Why can’t I bring my own gun?

For the safety of everyone; it is safer in a crowd if we have control of all guns and ammo.

We will safety check and clear the gun and hand it to you with the safety engaged.

We have people loading magazines. We have approximately 50 magazines.

We will hand you a full magazine and you will only place it into the gun when we tell you to load and make ready.

All guns are empty at the same time and safety checked by you and the range safety officer.

These are competition pistols, very accurate, low recoil, easy to pull the slide back to chamber a round, and these guns fit small and large hands.

15. How many times do I have to hit the target?

35 times out of 50 shots.

16. How far from the target am I when I shoot?

We start at 9 feet from the target. A full body silhouette target. This is a large target.

17. Who does my back ground check?

SLED will do your background check after you send in the SLED application that we give you in class.

18. How much does the background check and permit cost?

You will need to send a certified check or money order into SLED with your application in the amount of $50.00

Retired police officers and Ex-Military personnel that receive disability from the VA this fee is waived by SLED, you do not pay for your permit.

19. When do I send in my paperwork and my $50.00 certified check to SLED?

Your training is in effect for 3 years, so you have 3 years from your class date to send in your SLED paperwork and the $50.00 check to SLED for your permit.

20. How long is my permit good for?

5 years. You must renew your permit the last 3 months. You can renew on line and pay online.

21. How long does it take to get my permit back from SLED?

By law SLED has 90 days to return your permit from the date you mailed it in or to send you a denial letter. You can appeal if denied.

SLED asks that you not call them to check on your permit until the 90 day time period has expired. It has been my experience that most students receive their permit within 30 to 45 days from SLED. But wait 90 days to call them.

22. Do I have to be 21 years old to take the class?

NO. Your training is good for 3 years from the training date. If you are 18 years old or older you can take the class and mail in your paper work on your 21st birthday.

23. Do I have to be 21 years old to carry a pistol concealed?

Yes. You must be 21 years old to carry a pistol concealed and you MUST have a concealed weapons permit.

Concealed Weapons Permit Class for Rock Hill, Chester, Lancaster, Fort Mill, York, Tega Cay, Lake Wylie

Gift Certificates are Available on this website.

This Class is for people that know how to safely use a gun.

Everyone should obtain their CWP

Contact us at 803-524-2916 to sign up for a class to get your carry permit.
Tim Walling Concealed Weapons Permit Instructor
Contact us at sclegalcarry@gmail.com to sign up for a CWP Permit Class

Concealed Weapons Permit Class for Rock Hill, Chester, Lancaster,
Fort Mill, York, Tega Cay, Lake Wylie, and all of South Carolina.

$75.00 Per Person
We Provide Gun, Ammo, Safety Equipment, and all Classroom Materials. You Just Show Up.
$40.00 For Ex-Military and Retired Police            Separate Class for Military and Police

Learn Gun Safety, Home Safety, and Carry Safety.


Our new classroom is located at PAPPY's Gun Range.
We are located 8 minutes or 6 miles from I-77.​

You may need a baseball cap at the firing range to get your CWP. We will be live firing for
​​your concealed weapons permit at an outside range.​